Trading in a car, but can’t find the title? I don’t have knowledge for you if you live outside of Michigan, but if you’re a Michigander, here’s a quick fix for getting a new car title — and fast:
- You can obtain an instant, duplicate title at any Michigan Secretary of State Super!Center or Plus location, which most also have extended hours.
- Go to the Michigan Secretary of State website to Get in Line from anywhere with MI-TIME Line. Select your preferred location.
- Enter your cell phone number and select your desired appointment time — immediately or another specific date and time. You will receive a confirmation text and get regular updates about where you are in line. (The Grand Rapids Area SUPER!Center is closest to the dealership where I work — Berger Chevrolet. This Super!Center is open late on Wednesday evenings and till noon on Saturdays.)
- Bring your ID and current plate registration. (If you can’t find your current registration, take a picture of your plate. Or, in some cases, you can download a duplicate registration online.)
- Be sure to request a Michigan Instant Title, not a duplicate title. Be prepared to pay around $20. You want to get the new title in your hands immediately, not sent in the mail if want to trade your car now, rather than later.
Follow me on Facebook at She Sells Cars